Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:11:05 GMT-0700
From:      "John Garrett" <garrett@bhs.jcsd1.k12.wy.us>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HELP: service not available, closing control connection

You may very well be right. But I am trying many sites, some where it
is way into the night.

I think there is an issue with this 3com card driver. I also think
there is something with the MTU rate. I am on an ethernet network and
the suggested rate (according to such experts as
webopedia.internet.com)  is 1500 byte blocks. In the option area the
default is 20 512k sized blocks (or 10240byte blocks).

I necked it down to 3 512k blocks. When I first tried this I had a
2.2.8 setup disk in the machine and it logged me in slick as hell. So
I turned it off and stuck in my 3.0 boot disk.

Mistake.

Now nothing is working, again. But at least I'm on the track - I
think

> Hmm. If I connect to ftp.freebsd.org, it comes up with:
>
>     ~,11:43am> date
>     Wed Dec 23 11:43:22 NZDT 1998
>     ~,11:43am> ftp ftp.freebsd.org
>     Connected to wcarchive.cdrom.com.
>     220 wcarchive.cdrom.com FTP server (Version DG-3.1.27 Wed Dec 2 01:29:08 PST 1998) ready.
>     331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
>     230-Welcome to wcarchive - home FTP site for Walnut Creek CDROM.
>     230-There are currently 3594 users out of 3600 possible.
>                             ^^^^              ^^^^
>
> It could simply be that ftp.freebsd.org is overloaded this time of the
> year (too many people with free time on their hands?). Is it possible
> to load from a mirror site?
> --
> Jonathan Chen                           | To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
>                                         | To be is to do  -- Sartre
>                                         | Scooby do be do -- Scooby

*
*