Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:19:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        Joachim.Wunder@lrz-muenchen.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rdump problems [help]

>  I try dumping a just installed 2.1.7 box with another BSDi 2.1 box. Both are
>  connected via NE2000 cards. telnet e.g. works perfectly. Only rsh from the BSDi
>  2.1 box only says "permission denied" when I give the following command on the
>  BSDi box:
>
>  rsh -l root <FreeBSD-Box> rdump <BSDi-Box>:/dev/nrst0 0fBu 10000000 /
>
>  Of course I set .rhosts in /root of the <FreeBSD-Box> with:
>  <BSDi-Box> root

you need to add the FreeBSD-Box root in the BSDi-Box's root .rhost also:

BSDi# rsh  "rdump <BSDi-Box>:/dev/nrst0 0fBu 10000000 /dev/xxxx"
       sends the rdump command to the FreeBSD-box the FreeBSD-box issues
       the command "rmt" to the BSDi-box to dump the filesystem on the
       BSDi-box's tape drive.

I do not like setting root .rhosts like this. I would rather set rdump
suid, with a new tape group, change the group on the remote raw devices
and send commands using a special backup account.

If you do this from cron (and have clocks fairly synced), a person can make
these changes right before scheduled backups and change them back afterwards
to narrow the window of vunerability

chgrp remtape /sbin/rdump	# for remote machine
chmod 4550 /sbin/rdump		# for remote machine

chown remtape.remtape /dev/nrst0	# for local machine

chgrp remtape /dev/rsd0a		# do also for other raw partitions
mv ~remtape/rhost ~remtape/.rhosts	# for both machines

as remtape you can now issue rsh command(s) to backup local or remote machines

clean up by undoing the above:

mv ~remtape/.rhost ~remtape/rhosts
chgrp tty /sbin/rdump
chmod 555 /sbin/rdump		# (rdump's group is remtape)
chgrp wheel /dev/rsd0a		# etc for other raw partitions
chown root.wheel /dev/nrst0