Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:44:08 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: in-kernel HTTP Server for FreeBSD?
References:  <20020217143343.41758.qmail@web21104.mail.yahoo.com> <xzp4rkgf7n7.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> <20020217163045.GB90303@voi.aagh.net> <3C703089.AD03554B@mindspring.com> <018501c1b816$2a9cb970$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <3C705564.E1EA2FDA@mindspring.com> <001c01c1b859$6ee18c80$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <3C70E8B2.168D9F56@mindspring.com> <010101c1b87a$10707190$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <3C7146A9.931F07EF@mindspring.com>

Terry writes:

> Regedit can run from the command line and
> take a file name as an argument.

If you can configure IIS from the command line with regedit, you have the
patience of a saint.  Just sifting through GUIDs takes all day, and that's
_with_ documentation.

> This is circular reasoning.

So is your reasoning that leads you to call me atypical, as below.

> Reading about it is not good enough.  Doing
> it is good enough; watching professionals with
> many years of experience doing it is better.

So how many points does being a professional with many years of experience
garner?

> Your preference for comand line and file
> interfaces with high learning curves.

Cf. your comment on circular reasoning, above.

> Regedit.

Regedit is not practical.

> But you've already backed off from the web
> based interface being a requirement, by ceding
> that is also a native GUI interface.

It wasn't my argument that it is a requirement.  That was your argument, in
your attempt to show why a dedicated, kernel-located HTTP server might be
necessary.

> All else, including stability?

No, since stability is the dependent variable.

> I personally don't think they exist.  I'm
> questioning your implied premise here.

It was your inference, not my implication.

> I guess by asking this, you are also questioning
> your implied premise.

See above.

> I substantiate my statements with references
> to Computer Science literature.

Some computer-science literature was written by me.  Does the fact that I
put pen to paper guarantee that anything I write is fact?

> You aren't substantiating your at all.

Neither are you.  See above.  You're just pointing to someone else who makes
claims similar to yours.  That does not make them valid.

> If you want to pick out what you think is an
> unsubstantiated opinion in one of my postings,
> where I haven't explicitly stated it (I generally
> state it, as you pointed out), I can back it up
> with a cite from the literature for you.

If you want to substantiate your opinions, start with axioms accepted by all
and reason forward from there.  Citations are valueless.