Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 13:00:04 -0700
From:      Alex Stamos <stamos@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

> > What's the actual background behind this?
>
> Being able to track 911 calls in the case of emergency.

  While some people may find this a convenient excuse for more Big Brother tactics,
I once spoke to a paramedic friend about 911 cell phone tracking after it was first
announced.  She said that she couldn't overestimate the problems caused by people
giving bad directions or locations over cell phones.  Apparently, its not uncommon
for a person, still dazed from an accident, to report their location as "Somewhere
on Interstate 80".  -For those non-Americans, I-80 is a 3,000 mile freeway that
starts in San Francisco and ends in Boston.-

   On another topic, I recently read an article on Ace's Hardware comparing the
performance of standard benchmarks, on a Alpha 21264 under Linux, compiled with the
GCC and Compaq's proprietary compiler.  Compaq's C compiler kicked GCC's ass in
almost every metric.  My questions:  Is such a compiler available for *BSD?  Why is
GCC so bad at Alpha optimization when it does so well on x86?  Is somebody asleep
at the wheel here?

   Thanks,
       Alex Stamos
         stamos@cs.berkeley.edu
         ISTORE project, UC Berkeley CS Department