Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:42:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Derek" <derek@durham.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating world with least downtime

> From: "Derek" <derek@durham.net>
> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:36:43 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello,
>     I intend to update the OS source on a primary server for my
> company.  If I buildworld, and buildkernel, then drop to single
> and installworld, and installkernel, will the kernel installed be
> the same version as the world newly installed, or will it be the
> version _currently_ installed on the machine?

You want to installkernel BEFORE the reboot. Then installkernel and
reboot.

The key is to install and boot the new kernel before the installworld
so you have a back-out should the new kernel not work.
make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=Your_config_file
reboot (to single user)
fsck -p
adjkerntz -i
mount -a -t ufs
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

Total down-time depends on the system speed and the time required to
process mergemaster diffs. I can typically do it in 10 minutes. Have
done it in 5 with minimal merges on a 1GHz P3. Faster on my 1.8 GHz
P4.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)