Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:16:16 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

At 6:14 PM -0800 3/16/01, John Baldwin wrote:
>On 17-Mar-01 Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>  >  As you can see, both OSREL and OSVERSION can be set in
>  >  /etc/make.conf or the command line to override the
>  >  default setting.
>
>Actually, the biggest problem in the past has been configure
>scripts which call uname directly and try to parse the output,
>so setting OSREL or OSVERSION doesn't help at all there.  :)
>
>Just committing it to the tree is a rather simple way of
>achieving all of this.

For what it's worth, I am 100% convinced that it is very
worthwhile that SOME kind of name-change occur at the point
that we currently change to -beta.  I do believe there are
very practical and worthwhile benefits.

>It would be nice to also know how many people are confused
>vs. how many people _aren't_ confused.  If 2% of our
>-stable userbase doesn't get it, then I'm not sure that is
>justification for axeing it.

I do not want to axe it.  I just want to use a different
combination of letters.  There is no one who has given a
TECHNICAL reason that we must use the specific four letters
of 'beta' to denote this stage in the release cycle.  Many
good reasons (IMO) have been offered for why SOME name
change should occur, but not one as to why those specific
letters must be used.  I think we can benefit (or at least,
reassure) that tiny 2% of our user population without doing
one single bit of harm in any way, shape or form to the
other 98%.

We can change from using "beta" to using "pre-release"
by typing in about two dozen letters.  If it takes so
little effort to improve something for even  0.2%  of
our users, without hurting any of the rest of our
users, then why would we not JUST DO IT?  Why are we
expending tens of thousands of characters arguing
about it?