Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:14:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Reply to K-6 and more (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 07:43:06 -0500
From: Paul J Lambert <LAMBERT_PAUL_J@lilly.com>
To: jer@jorsm.com
Subject: RE: Reply to K-6 and more

Thanks for the prompt reply to my questions.   I was able to confirm most of
your response by spending time surfing the FreeBSD home page.  I will attempt
to install the floppy boot software and perform an install over the network.

I am particularly interested in getting a CD-R/CD-RW drive integrated into my
system.  I know the system I am getting has an IDE interface.  The specs on
the disk are: 5,200 RPM rotational speed, Highest capacity EIDE desktop drive
available,  ANSI ATA-4 compliant PIO mode 4,  DMA 2 interface.  I am
investingating an internal IDE compatible CD-RW.  Based on information on the
home page, it appears that a device driver may already exist.

I am somewhat concerned due to the fact that information on the home page made
a statement about all interfaces except SCSI being somewhat slow.  I can
understand this statement if it simply points out the differences in SCSI
versus other technology.  Hardware supplying data at 10ms access time should
be irrevalent to the OS and drivers.

In reference to Mozilla, I was suggesting that an up to date compiled copy of
lastest sources being available for downloading which would execute properly
on several of the various ports, including BSD, as other applications on your
home page.  I can get the source and do this.

I am attempting to put together a browser configuration including Lestiff,
Mozilla and FVWM95 for the purpose of developing Javascript, browser based
applications.  I know there is a lot of work to do on these.

Finally, I do not know all of the details, but in researching a bsd to run, I
came across OpenBSD as well.  I understand that some type of "rif" occurred a
couple of years ago and one of the FreeBSD developers started this initiative
on his own.  Any comment?

Thanks for the support.  I look forward to running FreeBSD.

Paul Lambert