Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:18:51 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A CAM of worms

> > My exceptions to the proposed plan:
> >
> > *  No migration path;  The is no mechanism to migrate at all.  We need a
> >    way to have the same system boot either way.  We need a mechanism to
> >    maintain source for the old systems and switch back.
>
> There is certainly a migration path.  Run a CAM kernel or don't.  Must
> developers I know have plenty of space to store two sys trees.  As I
> have stated to Julian several times, I will not polute the CAM code
> with #ifdefs, or gratuitously rename controller driver file names or
> "config names" just so you can build a kernel both ways.

IMHO, with that attitude you can take the CAM stuff and go play
somewhere else.  Part of being a 'team effort' means making compromises
so that everyone can work together.

Alienating the entire -current code-base with no backwards path to do
upgrade of local changes might be easier for you, but it's a nightmare
for anyone that isn't intimately familiar with how the CAM stuff is
written, which affects everyone but you.

> If you want the code to go on a branch first, fine by me, but it is my
> intention to only put the code into CVS at all once the minimum amount
> of device support acceptable to users of current has been developed
> and tested.

Minimum acceptable w/out giving people who don't fit into the group is
unacceptable.

Nate