Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 96 16:51:00 EST
From:      BUCHANAN Gardner <gbuchanan@shl.com>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is there a general purpose parallel port interface?

I wonder if there is any existing general purpose bi-directional parallel
port driver?  With the proliferation of devices that use this interface,
like Zip drives, the Connectix video camera, scanners and other doodads,
it seems that a general purpose driver which could be used by various
user-mode programs to drive these different devices would be a good thing.

I see that there is support for using IP over the parallel line, as well
as standard output-only printing.  Is there no general purpose bidirectional
interface?  Given the kernel support for these other things, I expect that
it would not be too hard to write.

Thanks,
 --
Gardner Buchanan