Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:07:58 -0800
From:      Darren Shepard <dss@orst.edu>
To:        lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: QoS and jails.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 02:53:09PM +0000,
   lewiz <purple@lewiz.info> writes:

|   I've not really much (any) knowledge of QoS.  I am wondering whether
| it would be possible to de-prioritize bandwidth from a certain ip
| address?
|   Ideally I want a jail on my gateway for setting up downloads (using
| wget).  Since I am only on 56k this kills web browsing speeds for the
| other workstations -- if the jail were deprioritized it would kick in
| only if there was no other traffic.
|
|   Is this possible with QoS (or anything else) and if so, how?
|
| 	Thanks very much,
|
| -lewiz.

While not quite what you want, you might look at the --limit-rate=amount
option of wget.  Alternatively you could shape traffic to/from your jail
ip using dummynet and ipfw (read: man dummynet, man ipfw).

--
Darren Shepard | dss@orst.edu | 96D1 FB79 4617 1A06 BA50
  http://darren.shepard.org   | 8FD8 E16D 6F5F 31F0 A7D2