Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:09:44 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        orp@egroups.com
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   POSIX port of Intel ORP

For those of you not familiar with ORP, please see:

http://www.intel.com/research/mrl/orp/

I've ported the code to FreeBSD, in the process making it easy to
port it to any POSIX compliant OS, with gcc and GNU Make.

The port involved:

1. Replacing ORP_LINUX with ORP_POSIX
2. Covering Linux specific bits in #ifdef __linux__
3. Tweaking the linker flags in the main Makefile

Current port status:

1. Compiles on FreeBSD (and Linux of course)
2. signal handling issues ironed out.
3. Can't run HelloWorld yet, due to what I believe are
   scheduling issues with pthreads. I think this is due to
   the use of non-portable recursive pthread_mutexes used in
   the code.

The effort is based on the most recent release. Producing a diff is
possible, but clumsy. ORP folks, please let me know if you're interested
in folding this in.

Thanks!

	-Arun