Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:16:47 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP, floppy installs desupported for 5.0

[From address modified because I don't want every message in this
thread to end up in my personal mailbox.  I'll read them in the
list, thank you very much.]

It has become very hard to produce boot floppies for 5.0 on the Alpha
platform.  The kernel has just grown too large.  The amount of effort
required to get 'make release' to properly build the floppy images just
requires too much effort.

This email is just to inform the Alpha community of this situation.

We do desire to offer a small boot image (say 8 MB) that one can 'dd'
onto the beginning of a hard disk and boot from that to do an install.
This should serve the same need that the existing boot floppies do in
FreeBSD 4.x.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)