Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 15:40:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mikko@dynas.se (Mikko Tyolajarvi)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Endeavor install problems (639K != 640K -> SIG 11)

Mikko Tyolajarvi stands accused of saying:

> When booting, all report:
>
> =09BIOS basemem (639K) !=3D RTC basemem (640K)

That's harmless.  It means that the CMOS says you have 640K, but
the BIOS has borrowed a little bit of it for itself.  You can
ignore it.

> This flashes by very quickly, and I wouldn't even have noticed, if
> the machine I was installing on had not failed to install. It gets
> as far as ftp-ing the bin distribution (from a local machine with
> a CD drive), then dies on a SIG 11.

Hmm.  Combined with your comment below I think this is one of the known
gotchas with 2.1 and some funny motherboard caches.  It's been worked
around in more recent versions.

> MB.  I have second-hand information on a Dell 486 giving the same
> warnin= g, but not even being able to boot the install floppy.

This can sometimes be caused by having LBA mode turned on in the BIOS.

>  I will probably want to put FreeBSD on more of these machines,
>  how do I install on them without resorting to moving the disk
>  to another machine?

It's tough because what you want is a boot disk with a newer kernel on it;
you could ask Joerg (joerg@freebsd.org) if he has a copy of his
-stable boot image somewhere that you can use.