Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:17:49 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), drussell@saturn-tech.com, jflowers@ezo.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from NT ?

> > Note that the use of the NT boot loader simplifies this, since it can
> > have a very large boot image that it loads from (see the handbook).
>
> i wonder just how large... because if it can contain a full kernel one
> can simply construct a boot made by a small relocator and a regular
> kernel.

You could take the BTX loader (not BTX itself) and use it for this; see
src/sys/boot/i386/btx/btxldr.  It's fully relocating and just generally
super-wonderful.  You'll possibly need to fake up some of the bootinfo
struct though.  You could also get away with the new bootloader, which
could easily grow an NTFS filesystem module, and could be loaded in the
fashion described above.

> > The real pain here is that FreeBSD won't boot on a pure read-only
> > file store without modification (the existance of which was posted
> > about several times by the ROM/FLASH people).
>
> uh ? booting the kernel obviously works because i have done it reading
> from a CD or the network -- and a readonly root also seems to work,
> because I have been using diskless with a readonly root for a long time.

Terry is quite fond of the myth he puts forward above, despite the fact
that many people over the years have proven that FreeBSD runs quite
happily from readonly media (me too).