Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:43:52 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Derek <derek@durham.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating world with least downtime

--==_Exmh_63674048P

If memory serves me right, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:36:43PM -0400, Derek wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     I intend to update the OS source on a primary server for my
> > company.  If I buildworld, and buildkernel, then drop to single
> > and installworld, and installkernel, will the kernel installed be
> > the same version as the world newly installed, or will it be the
> > version _currently_ installed on the machine?
>
> It will be installed, but not booted unless you reboot after which is
> a very bad idea because if it fails, your world may not work with your
> old kernel..  You want to follow the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING.
> If you do that, the only time you'll spend in single user mode is
> installworld and mergemaster.

To reiterate Brooks' point...the mailing list archives are chock full
of messages where people deviated from the required procedure, and got
themselves into trouble.

This is also an excellent reason to practice the procedure on a scratch
box *before* doing it on your company's main server.

Good luck,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_63674048P

--==_Exmh_63674048P--