Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:31:43 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: External RAID boxes (was Re: AHC errors. Bad disk or bad firmware, or bug in driver ?)

Mike Tancsa writes:
> Unfortunately my budget is limited.  I dont want to go with the cheapest
> solution out there, nor can I afford the most expensive. For me, an
> external RAID box will be a step up rather than relying on tape backups and
> retiring old drives before they might have a chance to fail.

At the prices I've seen tossed about, one could purchase twice as many
drives and use vinum in a simple mirrored mode. Or better yet, buy a
RAID-5 module from Greg Lehey?

About 6 months ago when I last looked, big bad 7 or 9 bay SCSI boxes
with dual redundant power supplies were under $600US. Or $300 with a
single power supply. Add a couple of Adaptec 2940U2W's for $300 each. Or
maybe the dual version is available? These days a new MB with built-in
Adaptec controller(s) is about the same price as an Adaptec PCI card.
Another $200 to be covered with SCSI cables and terminators. Kingston
removable trays are about $200 per drive (get the hot swap version, or
is this needed or available for LVD?). Kingston is good stuff but
expensive, others are less but of unknown quality. You can do without
removable trays if you can schedule downtime to replace the bad drive.