Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:03:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        Paul DuBois <dubois@primate.wisc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Commander 3.0 and FreeBSD 2.1.5

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Paul DuBois wrote:

> > > I don't think you can boot FreeBSD off the second IDE drive.  I tried
> > > installing on a second drive, too, but I couldn't ever get it to boot
> > > correctly.
> >
> > Yes, you can boot FreeBSD off the second IDE drive.  I did it for several
> > months with OS/2's boot manager on a box that had DOS, OS/2, and Lose95 on
> > the first IDE and FreeBSD on the second.
> >
> > You can also boot FreeBSD off a third IDE drive.  I'm doing it on this box
> > with osbsbeta.exe from the /tools dir.
>
> Any special trick to it?

Not that I know of.  In both cases I just installed the boot manager first
then installed FreeBSD where I wanted it.

> When I installed FreeBSD on a second IDE drive, System Commander
> recognized that there was a system there, but when I told it to boot
> from it, the system just hung.

I'd be inclined to point the finger at System Commander.<G>

> Something I have to specify at the boot: prompt maybe,

I don't.

> or some /etc/fstab magic?

This is what works for me, I'd say it is pretty mundane.

/dev/wd1s2b			none		swap	sw 0 0
/dev/wd2a			/		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd2s1f			/usr		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd2s1e			/var		ufs	rw 1 1
proc				/proc		procfs	rw 0 0
/dev/wcd0c			/cdrom		cd9660  ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/wd0s6			/e:		msdos	rw 0 0

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@onyx.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD