Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:43:27 -0700
From:      Jon Simola <jon@abccom.bc.ca>
To:        Charles Quarri <randy@hackerz.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav" <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making a local FreeBSD distribution?

Charles Quarri wrote:

> I asked about this problem several weeks ago, and I never got an
> answer.  I am prefectly willing to concede that my procedures are
> wrong for generating a release.  I had been following the release
> generation procedures as stated in the FAQ.

I'm not an expert, but here's what worked for me, with the exception of
a couple missing parts due to non-exportable cryptography stuff. I
actually build off /u0 which is an empty 6gig drive, so /usr/src points
to /u0/src.

  1. Grab the CVS tree. My supfile (for cvsup) looks like:
	*default prefix=/u0/cvs
	*default base=/usr/local/cvsup
	*default host=cvsup.ca.freebsd.org
	*default release=cvs
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	## Main Source Tree
	cvs-all

  2. Local /usr/src full of the sources you want to build a release with.
  I used the following supfile, but you could just use cvs to check them
  out of the local CVS tree you have.
	*default tag=RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE
	*default prefix=/u0
	*default base=/usr/local/cvsup
	*default host=cvsup.ca.freebsd.org
	*default release=cvs
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	## Main Source Tree
	src-all
	src-eBones
	src-secure
	# other stuff
	ports-all
	www
	doc-all
	distrib

  3. I could never get a make release to work unless it was the same as the
  version running on the machine. My release of 2.2.7-Release was made on
  a machine running 2.2.7-Release. I couldn't get a 3.0-Current or
  2.2.6-Release machine to make the 2.2.7-Release.
  # uname -r
  2.2.7-RELEASE

  4. Also couldn't get it to go unless there was a loaded /usr/obj dir.
  (Error was: install: crt0.o: No such file or directory)
  # cd /usr/src && make buildworld

  5. Lots of free space. This solution used nearly a gigabyte, IIRC.

  6. Make sure the include files are there.
  # cd /usr/src && make include

  7. The CVSROOT environment variable should be set the same as the prefix
  in the CVS tree supfile.
  # export CVSROOT=/u0/cvs

  8. Start the build
  # cd /usr/src/release
  # make release CHROOTDIR=/u0/227release BUILDNAME=2.2.7-RELEASE \
    RELEASETAG=RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE

  9. The next hitch was Kerberos. Some time into the make release, cvs will
  check the entire source tree out of your local CVS tree. This includes
  the Makefile (I /think/) and the Kerberos skeleton tree. The skeleton
  tree contains only Makefiles. After the tree is checked out, but before
  it is actually compiled, you have to either delete the kerberosIV dir
  (the solution I used) or fill it with actual source files. If you don't,
  libroken will stop the make release with "Stop: Don't know how to make
  k_getpwuid.c" or similar. I didn't need Kerberos so I nuked it. (If the
  Makefile can't find the kerberos directory, it'll skip it)
  # cd /u0/227release/usr/src && rm -rf kerberosIV

  10. Many hours later (~8 for my PPro180), you'll have a release in
  /u0/227release/R with an ftp-able distribution and 2 CD images. That
  release (at least in my case) won't have the DES or the Kerberos
  bits. But it is installable, you'll just have to get those bits
  elsewhere.

  And a couple days later, my pretty 2.2.7 CD arrived, which I hadn't
  been expecting, which is why I went through this in the first place.

Questions? Comments?

TTYL... Jon
jon@abccom.bc.ca