Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:30:20 GMT
From:      Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/81555: Cron exits from SIGPIPE after crontab -e when using NSS-LDAP

The following reply was made to PR bin/81555; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
To: Thomas Sandford <freebsduser@paradisegreen.co.uk>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, dean@stack.nl, rasputnik@hellooperator.net
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:24:35 +0100

 * Thomas Sandford <freebsduser@paradisegreen.co.uk> [0608 13:08]:
 > Are there other things that are going to be affected by this "login via SSH
 > using an LDAP account" issue. I can't quite work out how this could affect
 > a system daemon which should surely be running with terminal detached
 > anyway (and certainly looks like it from a quick ps -auxww). [I haven't yet
 > spent much time examining the source to see why this occurs].

 It's not just via ssh. *any* user on an nss-ldap box can crash crond by running
 crontab -e.

 I'm guessing cron looks up a uid in a non-nss aware way somehow and dies when it can't find
 them, but I don't really know enough of the system to explain further.

 --
 'Olympic athletes. Disguise the fact that you've taken anabolic steroids by running a bit slower.'
 		-- B. Johnson, Canada