Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 17:13:51 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        "Brian Somers" <brian@awfulhak.org>, "Terry Lambert" <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fetch

From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My ISP (demon.co.uk) sends http dates like this:
>>
>>     Sat, 31-May-97 10:48:56 GMT
>>
>> According to http.c in the fetch sources, it's expecting
>> a full year here, ie.
>>
>>     Sat, 31-May-1997 10:48:56 .....
>>
>> Has anyone any objection to me making it allow the first ?
>
>As long as you treat it as the year 0097, no objection at all;
>otherwise you are introducing a year 2000 error.
>
>Has demon refused to correct their server software?  Or have
>they not been asked?

Why not treat a 2 digit year as a year in the current century?  no
y2k problem.  no y3k problem, etc..

Really though, a 2 digit year is just a lazy way of writing the date.
 It's human readable, but is a pain for software to interpret
correctly.  There's no reason for any software to use a 2 digit year
except for formatted user input/output.

Just an opinion,

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services