Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:07:27 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Frank Milner <fmilner@pathcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: software

> This no doubt sounds like a naive question, but will Windows
> applications run under FreeBSD?

The short answer is: no.  There is a program for this purpose called
WINE, which is capable of running many Windows applications on Unix.
Re-implementing Windows is hard work, however, and WINE is not very
reliable with complicated software.  See

  http://www.winehq.com/

> If not, what everyday word processors, spreadsheets, utlilities,
> etc., can be used with this operating system?

ApplixWare is available natively for FreeBSD, but it costs money.  The
Linux versions of Star Office and WordPerfect (if it's still alive?)
work under emulation.  There are ``open source'' office suite projects
underway for both the KDE and GNOME desktops as well.

As for applications that are less boring than word processors and
spreadsheets, there are tons.  Most of them are free with source code,
and the ones that are out of ``beta'' are generally very reliable.
See

  http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

> Perhaps Star Office applications?

Yes.  FreeBSD can run almost all Linux binaries flawlessly under
emulation, and the Linux version of Star Office is no exception.

> In other words, is FreeBSD suitable in anyway for the standalone
> desktop?

I, and I imagine most people who read this list, use FreeBSD as an
every day system.  That said, FreeBSD is not simply a free version of
Windows, so one must expect to expend some effort in the direction of
learning a new system.

You usually don't have to give up your Windows installation in order
to try out FreeBSD, so if you have some time to invest and some
curiosity, then, by all means give it a try.  After all, learning to
drive a car takes considerably longer than learning to ride a
tricycle, but most people I know would consider the former worth the
extra energy.

Lucas