Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 16:50:54 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade problems

In message <20000307205126.F73925@nathan.ruhr.de> Udo Erdelhoff writes:
: "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel" use GENERIC and kernel for the
: config file and the filename of the kernel. UPDATING should only contain
: this basic version. BTW, make buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC;make installkernel
: KERNEL=GENERIC installs /GENERIC :(

Because this is so error prone, I don't even touch it at all in
UPDATING.  I don't like the targets and have been burned by them.  The
explicit instructions, while longer to type, are known to work and
don't have these gotchas.

Warner