Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:28:32 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        K.J.Koster@kpn.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Name server config and nslookup

On Monday 05 March 2001 08:23, Koster, K.J. wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> My ISP gives me name server IPs through DHCP. This works just fine and I
> can use dig(1) to query the name server I get the expected results.
>
> However, when I start nslookup, the following happens:
>
> % nslookup
> *** Can't find server name for address 10.128.1.7: Non-existent host/domain
> *** Can't find server name for address 10.128.1.39: Non-existent
> host/domain *** Default servers are not available
> %
>
> I think that my ISP has made a configuration error in their reverse lookup,
> but they claim that I made a mistake.
>
> What mistake did I make? If none, what mistake did they make?
>
>     Kees Jan

Those IP's do not resolve and are not registered with network solutions or
the root servers.  You need to have your isp take care of this. The other
possibility is to use the nameservers that are registered to your isp. Those
should be ok for reverse lookups.

-Beech
     Beech Rintoul - Network Manager - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510