Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:24:15 -0600
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
Subject:   Re: ad0 READ_DMA TIMEOUT errors on install of 7.0-RELEASE

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 02:47:28PM +0000, Chris wrote:
> Did they push ahead with release because waiting for the mia dev?

There's a lot of things that go into deciding when to release.  The
release cycle this time was not supposed to be as long as it was.
We kept finding showstoppers and needing to go back and fix them
(especially for things like TCP performance and stability).

However, sooner or later you do have to release something.  There are
bugs in every software program ever released.

It seems that in certain cases (we're not sure exactly which) the ata
subsystem has regressed.  There's debate on the lists about exactly
how common this is: with bugmeister hat on, I don't think it's as
common as some folks seem to think it is (otherwise we would be overwhelmed
with bug reports).

There's a lot of badly-written firmware out there, and a lot of workarounds
for it in the current ata stack.  I'm not familiar with the code, but
fixing all this is a totally non-trivial task.

Of course it would be nice to have several committers with sufficient
variety of boards, and time, and experience to do a lot more QA, but
we're a volunteer project and have to go with what we have in some cases.

I'm open to suggestions about how we can get more people involved in
QAing ata.

mcl