Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:43:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Albert Chin-A-Young <china@thewrittenword.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing help

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Albert Chin-A-Young wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD/x86 3.4 box configured with two NICs, both connected
> to separate networks. I have one default route. How would I do the
> following:
>   1. Respond to all packets coming from NIC #1 through NIC #1 and
>      respond to all packages coming from NIC #2 through NIC #2.
>      Because I have a default route, all packages return through
>      only one NIC.

	Return from where?  Are the hosts on the networks connected
	pointed at the FreeBSD as the default gateway?

	I'm not quite clear on what you mean but I would recommend some
	type of Interior routing protocol, like RIP or OSPF to handle
	your routing needs.  Static routes can be a pain to manage after a
	while.

>   2. If NIC #1 goes down and the default route is set to NIC #1,
>      no packets can go through on NIC #2 (only for that subnet).
>      Is it possible to add a second default route so when the
>      network on NIC #1 goes down packets are sent through
>      NIC #2 (this disturbs connections already on NIC #1 but
>      that's OK).

	This discussion has come up before.  You can't
	(yet) add the same route to a netblock that is already in the
	routing table.

	However, here is a possible solution for 2 default gateways (1 as
	primary and 1 as a backup):

		route add -net 0.0.0.0 -netmask 128.0.0.0 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
		route add -net 128.0.0.0 -netmask 128.0.0.0 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
		route add -net 0.0.0.0 -netmask 0.0.0.0 BBB.BBB.BBB.BBB

	Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is your main gateway (primary) and
	BBB.BBB.BBB.BBB is your backup gateway IP.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.