Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:06:25 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When was the last ports tree that worked with RELENG_6?

On 16 February 2013 15:55, Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com> wrote:
> I have an old 6.4-R machine which I can take as far as RELENG_6, but no
> further due to a hardware-support issue (special hardware, third party
> driver).  The hardware needs to live a while yet, so I'd like to try to get
> the installed ports as up to date as possible.  The current ports tree
> doesn't work on 6.x, so I need to find the last version of the ports tree
> that does work.
>
> The ports tree on the box is *newer* than the one tagged RELEASE_6_EOL, so
> it's not that simple.  The current tree was pulled 2012-Feb-21 10:38 UTC and
> I know it works.  It looks like the RELEASE_8_3_0 tree (2012-March-7) also
> works based on some very basic testing.
>
> Does anyone when the ports tree broke for 6.x?  Alternately, if someone
> knows what it was that (first) broke the tree for 6.x, I can easily hunt
> down commits and find a predated tree that works.  Was it the optionsNG
> stuff?

I'm pretty certain that ports on 6.X was broken with OPTIONSng
(r297660), but I seem to remember that other compatibility was ripped
out before then; perhaps Mark can clarify.

r259629 specifically talks about removing 6.3 shims, but that is way before.

I think you may have some luck installing an up to date make(1) and
dialog(1) (or set NO_DIALOG=yes in make.conf) from stable/9 or
similar; many of the problems on 6 are caused by missing variable
modifiers.

Chris