Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:54:41 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what are my options?  lost password.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:35:04PM -0800, Steve Wingate wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 21:27, CDG. wrote:
>     i moved over a month ago and i'm just getting
>     everything set back up.  i tried to login to my
>     freebsd machine with what i thought was my password
>     and i can't login.  can someone tell me what todo?
>     will i need to reinstall?  =(
>
> Boot into single user mode, mount / read-writeable, edit /etc/passwd and
> change the password field to a "*" or something.
> Check the handbook online.

Or, alternately, boot to single user mode by halting the boot process at
the prompt and using `boot -s`.

When the system comes up mount all filesystems, something like:
# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs

Then simply run `passwd` (/usr/sbin/passwd) to change root's password.
When done type exit and the system will boot to multi-user mode and you
should be ok from there.

Nathan