Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2020 14:30:41 -0400
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nvidia on FreeBSD

FreeBSD-12.1p8

I am forced to configure a new workstation (WS) due to an unrecoverable
hardware error on my old (c.2009) one.  The new WS has only basic VGA on the
motherboard and has an Nvidia card as its primary video i/f.

I have two monitors both connected to the card.  Each works independently of
the other but when both are connected only one display is used.

I have the Mate desktop installed and working.  However when I try to configure
the monitors the display dialogue window only shows one, unknown, display and
the detect monitor button is not active.  I also get a message stating that the
mate-settings-daemon cannot start.

I need some help getting this sorted out.  If someone could guide me through
this I would appreciate it very much.

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3