Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:14:04 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        rohit@cs.umd.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'tip' to a SUN.

On Feb 02, 1997 at 02:16:12PM, rohit@cs.umd.edu wrote:
> A friend of mine is trying to 'tip' to a SUN Machine
> thru the serial port (/dev/cuaa1) on a FreeBSD box
> running 2.2.
>
> Somehow, not all characters are able to get across.
> For example the characters 's', 'n' and '=' just can't
> seem to get across. On the other hand some other characters
> like 'e' and 'f' seem to get transferred just fine.

I'm willing to bet you have tip calling out with even
parity (which is the default), and the other machine
set to no parity.

> Would somebody know what's going on? A serial null-modem
> cable is being used (I don't think the cable is the
> problem though). My guess is that some weird encoding is
> going on. We tried various combinations of parameters to
> stty (2 stop bits, 1 stop bit, no parity etc...) but
> nothing seemed to work. What is puzzling is that some
> characters work and some don't.

Because they're 8-bit characters, and probably be rejected
by whatever software you're running on the other system (a
shell, or getty?).

Let's see:

	s = 0x73 = 0x01110011 = 5 bits
	n = 0x6e = 0x01101110 = 5 bits
	= = 0x3d = 0x00111101 = 5 bits
	e = 0x65 = 0x01100101 = 4 bits
	f = 0x66 = 0x01100110 = 4 bits

Yep, looks like even parity. The first three get the 8-bit
bit set to make the number of bits in the byte even, and the
latter two pass through unchanged.

Add

	parity=none

to your ~/.tiprc

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/