Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:07:45 -0800
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <oberman@es.net>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet (xl) will not transmit or receive

Kevin wrote:
> I updated my 5.0 system built in late January to RELENG_5_0 on Sunday
> and the Ethernet was not working. I tried again last night with no
> change in behavior.
>
> The system is an AMD K6-2 on an ASUS P5A mobo. I have a 3Com 3c905B
> Ethernet which had been working fine on a kernel built in late
> January.
>
> The dmesg is not too meaningful, but the system shows no errors. It
> simply never receives a packet. ARPs are all incomplete and no packets
> are transmitted although netstat -in indicates that they are. The
> packets never actually reach the wire, though.
>
> I can't believe that no one else has this card, but I didn't find
> anything in the archives on it.

I experienced the exact same behavior with my GF's GigaByte GA-5AN AMD
K6-2 motherboard. Both a 3COM and a Realtek (yeah, I know...) card
refused to pass packets, staying in hardware loopback. The link light on
both cards would remain on until it appears the device was probed. At
that point the link was lost permanently. The motherboard and both cards
work fine with FreeBSD 4.7, which I even re-tested after the futile
5.0-RELEASE installation. I even flashed in the latest BIOS, but that
had no effect. (The hardware has since been re-tasked and is no longer
available for testing).

--Lucky Green