Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:17:13 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Mark.Andrews@nominum.com
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird sporadic DNS resolution problems

At 10:29 AM 1/19/2001 +1100, Mark.Andrews@nominum.com wrote:

>         This is a *human* problem not a software problem.

Yes and no.  Yes, its a human problem... My problem in that our support
staff get hit with "Why cant I email my <insert anyone from Aunt Mable to
large global conglomerate who could not possibly have bad DNS entries> when
<insert customer at competitors> can."... So yeah, its my problem.  It
would be lovely in a perfect world if people cleaned up their DNS.  But
some people dont know how, some people have made honest mistakes.  Either
way, its pretty well a pointless exercise try to explain to the end user
what a LAME delegation is.

Its a software problem in that it has yet to be documented or I have yet to
find the documentation, explaining when this behavior has changed. Someone
mentioned that it started happening between P5 and P7 of BIND which sounds
plausible. But there were also sendmail changes during that period as well,
and the tuneable in sendmail
# name resolver options
#O ResolverOptions=+AAONLY

does not seem to have any affect.  I cc'd the FreeBSD sendmail maintainer a
while back for his opinion, but have yet to hear from him.

         ---Mike