Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:49:25 -0400
From:      "Nimalan Mahendran" <nmahendran@SANDVINE.com>
To:        "Mark Ovens" <marko@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Quick and simple ssh(1) question

> Most likely your router is configured to only forward connections that
> come from the outside.
>=20

As I said, it was only a test and I was hoping that by using the=20
router's external hostname it would "simulate" an external connection,=20
obviously it doesn't.

> Does it work to access 'postie' via ssh from some machine that is
> *actually* on the outside?  If it does, then it is the configuration =
of
> your router which is not doing what you want it to.
>=20

I don't have access to one until I get to work tomorrow which was why I=20
was trying to simulate it - whilst I have the target machine in front of =
me.

This can be simulated at home by sshing into a host outside of your LAN =
(I used one of the hosts at my university) and then sshing back into =
your own machine. Maybe you can ssh into work and then back again ;) Or =
somewhere else outside your LAN..

Nimalan Mahendran
Tools Group
Direct - 519-880-2400 ext. 2756