Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 16:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamil Weatherbee <support@cdrom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager/ BSD on second disk (fwd)

	Technical Support
	Walnut Creek CDROM

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 110 14:41:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jim Dennis <jimd@mcafee.com>
To: Sridhar Krishnan <skrishna@cisco.com>
Cc: questions@freebsd.org, support@cdrom.com, kopti@seas.gwu.edu

> Hi BSD'ers,
>
> This is in response to my earlier posting re: booting FreeBSD off the
> second hard disk.
>
> I have not recvd. much any solutions thus far. When I re-installed the
> whole thing again, I got a message "root system is read-only" in a
> dialog-box. Does anybody know what this means ?
>
> What I have found is the following:
>
> - If I install the BootEasy (during the sysinstall), the MBR is put on the
> boot area of the second disk (because FreeBSD is on second disk ?). I
> changed BIOS to look at second disk first for booting purposes, and I got
> the F1- dos, F2- BSD prompt. F2 would boot fine from the hard disk but
> would error with a
>
> panic: error in root (I don't recall the exact string).
>
> I have to try to use the fixit floppy to see if I can fsck the root system.
>
> I tried several options on the BIOS to "enable/disable" parameter
> mapping etc.
>
> - The install diskette has an option to change the root file system at
> the Boot: prompt. I tried -a flag, but it did not seem to work.
>
> TIA,
> Sridhar Krishnan

	I've heard (but have not yet verified) that the LOADLIN.EXE program
	(written for Linux) will load FreeBSD kernels.

	Basically all you have to do is make a copy of your kernel to
	one of your DOS partitions (or a DOS floppy if it will fit) and
	install/configure LOADLIN.EXE (available at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu)

	After that you should be able to load FreeBSD using a DOS batch
	file.  I've used LOADLIN for Linux -- and it's definitely easier
	and more flexible than LILO (their default boot loader) -- especially
	for multi-boot configurations.  It can be use in a SHELL= directive
	in the CONFIG.SYS (using DOS 6.x+ and Win '95 multiple configuration
	options, or the old MBOOT.SYS), and it can deal with VCPI (memory
	managers like QEMM).  Naturally loading *ix is a one way trip --
	you have to reboot from Unix to get back to DOS.

	There is also an alternative OS boot loader listed in the web pages
	at http://www.freebsd.org.  I don't remember the details and haven't
	used it.

Jim Dennis,
former System Administrator,