Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 15:27:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Undesirable links to www.FreeBSD.org (was: Cool Page!  Your page rules.  Too cool.  Great design)

On Sun, Oct 19, 1997 at 10:08:48PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
>> In case others haven't seen this, I suggest you take a look now.  I
>> think somebody should tell this guy that the average FreeBSD user
>> doesn't think it's funny.
>
> I took a look.  I don't think it's funny, but I'm not offended by it
> either.  I don't agree with him, by the way, but think he has the right
> to express his own opinion.
>
> Now, if it had been an NT logo...  ;^)
>
> But, since I'd have been amused by an NT logo, I can hardly fault him
> for the page as a concept, now can I?

Agreed.  I wrote the first message without expecting the violent
reply.  I thought he was a bona fide FreeBSD person who would be
interested in our opinions.  Obviously I was wrong.

> I did like the suggestion for a Referrer: trap, that's quite a cool
> idea.

It's a nice idea.  I wonder if anybody cares enough.

> We could also apply it to persons coming in from that other gabage
> pit, microsoft.com. ;^)

Does Microsoft refer to us?  We should at least count the links and
investigate them if they do :-)

Greg