Date:      	Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:10:23 -0400
From:      Rick Goldeck <webmaster@cabl.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IP addresses and ppp -alias, simple question

This should be easy but I'm so thoroughly confused now...

I have a FreeBSD machine set up as an inet gateway for several
Win PC's. Currently I have:

10.0.0.1 Win #1
10.0.0.2 Win #2
.
.
10.0.0.127 FreeBSD --> Internet (dedicated dialup, static IP)
  using ppp -alias

Works great. Next I added a webserver. I installed Apache,
it's working fine. I can access the server off the web using
the dialup IP and DNS (the ISP assigns the dialup a name).

Now the confusing part - I want to have my own domain name.
My ISP will CNAME the domain name to the dialup connection.
He has said I will then need to change the address of the
FBSD machine to the IP of the domain name in order for the
web to see my server.

Of course, that's ALL he said and I can get little other
help from him. Since it works now, shouldn't it still work?
Will IP aliasing handle all that?

As an extra what-if, if I want to use the domain-name as a
mail address and the FBSD box as the mail server, will this
work as well (assuming I configure sendmail properly)?

Thanks for any help.
Rick Goldeck