Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:59:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy Jr." <rdmurphy@neale.econ.vt.edu>
To:        Mark Blackman <tmb@rcru.rl.ac.uk>
Cc:        rdmurphy@mail.vt.edu, marcel@scc.nl, sean@stat.Duke.EDU, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matlab 5.3

I actually had some problems with files being (not) created or not
found under /tmp (/compat/linux/tmp) while installing 5.3.  Aside from
installing the rpm's it went relatively quickly.  At the risk of
cluttering the archives with additional suggestions, the steps I
followed were:

1.  Install linux-base

2.  Install tar-1.12-4.i386 and sh-utils-1.16-14.i386 rpms

3.  Start /compat/linux/bin/sh and run:

       bash# /cdrom/install* -debug -lnx86 &

    - this failed to create a "backend" file for use in a final
      installation script
    - the -debug option prints the information needed to create the
      file however:

MATLAB=/usr/compat/linux/usr/local/matlab5
OUTPUT_FILE=/usr/compat/linux/usr/local/matlab5/install_matlabp.out
CHECK_SYMBOLIC_FOR_MAPLE=no
MAPLE_LIBRARIES_DIR=
LICENSE_NUMBER=  < deleted >
WANT_ACCESS_DIR=yes
ACCESS_DIR=/usr/local/bin
WANT_LICENSE_MANAGER=yes
WANT_LMBOOT_LINK=yes

     - copy the above into /compat/linux/tmp/matlab-backend
     - run the backend script, pointing it to that file:

       bash# /cdrom/update/install/backend \
        -r /compat/linux/usr/local/matlab5 /compat/linux/tmp/matlab-backend

     - this creates another script in /tmp based on the process
       number (/tmp/$$c) - look for two files, one ending in "a", the
       other ending in "c"
     - edit the $$c script to
        -- remove the extra /usr prefixes on:

MATLAB=/usr/compat/linux/usr/local/matlab5
OUTPUT_FILE=/usr/compat/linux/usr/local/matlab5/install_matlabd.out

        -- and change the two invocations of install_matlab to include
           -lnx86 as an option:

$DOLLAR_MATLAB/install_matlab $* -lnx86 -b 1 > $OUTPUT_FILE 2>&1 <<EOF

and

$DOLLAR_MATLAB/install_matlab $arglist -lnx86 -b 1 > $OUTPUT_FILE2>&1<<EOF

     - then run the /tmp/$$c script
     - I also changed the three copies of arch.sh:

./etc/util/arch.sh
./install/arch.sh
./bin/util/arch.sh

       to report lnx86 for FreeBSD as well as for Linux.

It seems to work fine now.

Thanks to all for guidance and suggestions.

Russ Murphy

According to Mark Blackman (June 10, 1999):
| I wrote some notes on this using a temporary hack approach.
| the only difference for 5.3 is to change the linux version that
| matlab demands to see. It's not quite as good as doing the
| real thing with rpm's (for tar and uname) but it's somewhat less hassle
| and allows an install straight from cdrom (no copying). I also
| forgot to include one shell mod. for the license manager.
|
| it's also in the 1998 freebsd-questions archive. (July 24,1998)
|
| transcribed below.
|

| --
| Mark Blackman
| Radar Group
| Radio Communications Research Unit
| Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
| Chilton, Didcot
| Oxon OX11 0QX, United Kingdom
-----
Russell D. Murphy
Department of Economics
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
3034 Pamplin Hall
Blacksburg, Virginia  24061-0316
(540) 231-4537
rdmurphy@vt.edu