Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 22:58:17 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sorry, found it explained during jadetex installation

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 03:57:05PM -0500, Jay Nelson wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 1999, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> >On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 01:09:10PM -0500, Jay Nelson wrote:
> Are you suggesting a script capable of dealing with the relationship
> between, for example, main_memory.context, main_memory and extra_mem_*
> and balancing all the options and various pools to be sure it all fits
> in 8MB? And also, make the correct trade-off if it doesn't? How many
> of my format files do you propose be rebuild? How can you know if my
> format files have been modified? If you can do that in a simple perl
> script without clobbering people who use TeX for things other than the
> doc project, go for it. I'd like to see the script. Tuning TeX has
> always been a pain in the butt.

I was planning a 10 liner that parsed texmf.cnf, pulled out the
appropriate values for the configuration, checked to see if they were
>= the recommended minimums, and updated them (possibly with a warning
first) if they were less than necessary.

All this would be part of the docproj port rather than the teTeX port,
so it's assumed the user does want to use teTeX with the Doc. Proj.

> Your suggestion seems like a mexican standoff. On one hand you're
> proposing to modify configurations automatically because some people
> don't read the screens. On the other, people who don't expect that
> behavior may not read the screens either -- so about all you
> accomplish is pissing off a different group of people. Maybe this is
> acceptable.
>
> Nik, if you attempt this, will there be a heads-up notice?

If the relationship between the variables is that complex, I'll just add
a post-install message to textproc/docproj reminding them to check the
pkg/MESSAGE file for textproc/jadetex and make changes as necessary.

Thoughts?

                       The trial continues tomorrow.