Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:27:55 +1100
From:      Mark.Andrews@nominum.com
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        Mark.Andrews@nominum.com, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird sporadic DNS resolution problems

> > 	This is a *human* problem not a software problem.
>
> I don't think so.  I've investigated cases where the MX record is fine, the
> name servers are all responding with AA, but sendmail still refuses to delive
> the mail.  I suspect some sort of negative caching but I can't work out where
> .

	But did the A record of the MX exist?  Was the zone correctly
	delegated?  There are quite a few configuration error case
	transient errors.

	I'm not saying that a software error is impossible.  I am
	saying that in the vast majority of cases there is a
	configuration error.  If we get a case where a answer has
	been mis-classified then we fix the code.

	This thread has not had a example of nameserver a
	mis-classification.  It has had humans stating that servers
	were good when they were bad upon inspection.

	Note also nameserver error can be the result of unreachable
	servers.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.