Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:56:58 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Defragmentation

* Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se> [20001017 17:21]:
=>
=>On 17-Oct-00 Daniel Bye wrote:
=>> As far as I know, there are no defragmentation agents for FreeBSD (or most
=>> other *NICES).  Therefore, you would have to rebuild your file systems.
=>> Take a tape backup of the entire system (this is sequential, so disk
=>> fragmentation is not an issue), rebuild your disk slice/partition setup, and
=>> then restore the backed up file systems from the tape.

Now that is where the dilemna is..my box has no tape drive! But I have a
tape of 10GB and there is another FBSD box near me which has the tape
drive. I've heard about amanda and some network backup applications but I
think I may be able to backup but not restore....what is the procedure
when the tape drive is not on the box??

=>
=>
=>ffs tries to minimise fragmentation when writing files so simply *copying* files
=>around should reallocate them with less framentation (then delete the original
=>of course:). Moving files is not the same, as the actual inodes must be moved
=>around for the system to get a chance of optimizing it.
=>
=>How many percent fragmentation is there? I have never seen more than a couple of
=>percents worth. If the file system is full ffs will have a harder time doing a
=>good job, in which case perhaps using tunefs to set size optimization is a good
=>thing?

It's now at 2.3% but for a long time I've been watching it come this
far...

=>> However, you shouldn't need to do this as often as under MS systems, as the
=>> various UNIX file systems aggressively try to minimise data fragmentation.

I get the point. Thank you.

=>>
=>> If anyone knows of a defragmentation agent, I'd like to know :o)
=>>

Some Linux guy said Linux does it automatically ??? Heard anything like
that? I've never used Linux though, except as a dumb user..just telnet,
mail..

=>
=>Never heard of it either. I don't think it is necessary.

Any idea how I can capture the msgs about the file systems when system
boots, including when it's starting the daemons..?

Thanking you guys BIG!

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Just as a flower which seems beautiful and has color but no perfume, so are
the fruitless words of the man who speaks them but does them not. -Dhammapada