Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:14:28 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to test health of dhcp server on FreeBSD 3.4?

After trying to "wade" through the dhclient-script file, I'm throwing my
hands in the air and going with the way we were doing this.  Basically, in
order to test the health of a dhcp server, to see if it was serving
addresses, a dhcp request was made from the machine and then when a
response was received, the ethernet interface was reset with the static
address.  One question is that our last dhcp server was running Red Hat
Linux 6.0 and the command to reset the interface back to a static was:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

I'm not sure how to do this in FreeBSD 3.4.  Any suggestions/ideas?

Oscar

"Don't believe the hype"