Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:02:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sarah Close <sarahclose@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/64183: 5.1-RELEASE Install hung at "Probing devices" display

>Number:         64183
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       5.1-RELEASE Install hung at "Probing devices" display
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The installation process hangs at the "Probing devices..." display. Configuration: Dell 650N workstation with dual Intel Xeon processors 3.06ghz each 533mhz bus. 2gb ecc ddr sdram @ 266mhz. Seagate ST373453LW scsi drive (73gb), cd-rw drive (ide), Iomega 250 (ide), analog 20" flat panel monitor with on-board controller. Dell bios version A01. LSI bios version LSIMPTBIOS-IS-5.02.32. Usb keyboard & mouse.

Verbose logging on install, rolling quickly off the screen, seems to indicate un-retryable errors probing the scsi drive, on-board scsi controller or LSI bios immediately prior to displaying the "Probing devices.." screen. The message display seems to identify all other components that I am aware are in the workstation. Machine hangs so hard the power plug must be removed to reset it. Machine works wonderfully with Redhat Linux 9. Thought I would see how well it works with FreeBSD before moving to Fedora. If it works as advertised I may not go to Fedora.
>How-To-Repeat:
      Try the install again.