Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:40:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        aron@cs.rice.edu, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: paper on improving webserver performance

In article <local.mail.freebsd-net/199907080323.WAA26783@cs.rice.edu> you write:

>> It's definitly interesting.
>> The comment about having compared against timer wheels is especially
>> interesting given that Garrett has been working on replacing the TCP
>> timers with timer wheels...
>>
>> maybe he has some tricks up his sleave that win back some of the
>> difference...

Actually, if you recall my earlier posting, I had a hybrid approach
that allowed using either the current approach, or a timing wheel
approach.  After a bunch of tests, it turns out that the timing wheel
was faster, so I merged my code with Garrett's.

>Perhaps the following would help. My implementation of timing wheels was
>well optimized. To continue TCP to use integer variables, only a single event
>was inserted into the timing wheel corresponding to all the TCP timers. This
>event corresponded to the time that the earliest timer needed to fire. Further,
>this event wasn't cancelled even if the TCP timers were. Thus TCP would set and
>unset its timers by simply changing the integer variables.

This seems to indicate that you still have the overhead where the timer
fires, but no events are actually pending.
--
Jonathan