Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 13:38:30 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        Ron Klinkien <ron@zappa.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unstable stable-release?

On 2001.05.31 13:29 Ron Klinkien wrote:

> For the last few days my server is very unstable,
> it panics mostly when compiling kernel and/or world.
>
> I had also an fxp0 intel card added, but after reading about
> miibus problems, changed it to an xl0 type, it made no difference.
>
> I cvsupped/rebuild today (31 may)
>
> The last one is:
>
> savecore -N /kernel /var/crash
> savecore: reboot after panic: vm_page_insert: already inserted
> savecore: system went down at Thu May 31 22:10:20 2001
> savecore: no dump, not enough free space on device (227514 available,
> need
> 297068)
>
> As you can see, I have to create some space before I can give more
> details...
>
> In the meantime can anyone give a pointer where to look?
> Still hardware or am I not the only one?
>
> Regards,
> Ron.

I'm definitely no kernel expert, but in the past week or so I've had
crashes updating/building ports with recent kernels.  As an ad hoc
solution (no guarantee it either:  1) points to the actual problem; or
2) really works), I've increased the size of PMAP_SHPGPERPROC (which
appears to default to 200).  This seems to have made the vm_page-related
panics disappear, and also greatly improved the responsiveness of
mozilla-0.9,1.  But, most definitely, YMMV . . .

jmc