Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:39:47 +0200
From:      "Pascal Giannakakis" <capm@gmx.net>
To:        "John Webb" <johnwebb123@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Power-off on shutdown

> Ive run FreeBSD since v4.0R, and am currently running 4.5R. I have two
> computers with totally different hardware. On both of my computers, and
with
> every release ive run, I can never get it to power off the computer when i
> shutdown. ive already tried the obvious - shutdown -p. I relize that it
says
> "hardware support required", but im wondering what exactly is meant by
that
> (what kind of hardare is supported?). Is there any way I can get it to
> poweroff?
>
> Thanks.

I posted a similar problem a few days ago. This is what helped:

1.) Edit the kernel-conf-file, you have to remove the "disabled" from the
line which begins with "device apm0". Recompile the kernel. The handbook can
help you with this if you haven't done this before.

2.) Edit your /etc/rc.conf - add two lines:

apm_enable="YES"
apmd_enable="YES"

HTH