Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 20:33:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
Cc:        Laszlo Vagner <vagner@kf7nn.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: magic number

> I've got USR on both ends.  The init string I'm using for the dialing end
> is:

	Have you tried a different brand of modem... USRs tend to have
some small problems with their BIOS chips. The symptoms are usually the
modem connecting, then dropping carrier for no apparent reason. You might
want to look into getting it upgraded, usually about $40 or so from
3-Com/USR. I had to replace 9 of 10 modems that displayed similar
problems under other operating systems.

					Rick