Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:57:42 -0400
From:      Anil John <ajohn@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
To:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Compiling kernel for ATAPI CD-ROM error - fatal signal 11- what is it?

Greg Lehey[SMTP:grog@lemis.de] wrote:

   >OK, you're not done yet.  So it's pretty certain that you have a cache
   >problem.  Now you need to find out whether it's a hardware problem or
   >incorrect configuration.  Many BIOSes have cache burst configuration
   >options (cache wait states, or burst configurations like 3-2-2-2 or
   >2-1-1-1 or some such).  The cache is 128 bits wide, but the memory bus
   >is only 32 bits wide, so it needs 4 cycles to transfer a cache line.
   >The 3-2-2-2 means that the first transfer takes 3 bus cycles, and the
   >following ones only 2.  I'd guess that you have your cache set up for
   >too few cycles.

I know what you mean The above settings are in my BIOS on my other machine.
 But I have an old Award BIOS on my system and I do not know what the
corresponding items are.  The relevent options on it are (* marks what I
had when I got errors):

Decoupled Refresh:  	Enabled*/Disabled
Relocate 256k/384k:		Enabled*/Disabled
Video BIOS Cacheble:	Enabled/Disabled*
System BIOS Cacheble:	Enabled/Disabled*

External cache scheme:	Wr-Through*/Write-Back
Combine Alter & Tag Bits:	Enabled*/Disabled
Memory hole at 15Mb Addr:	Enabled/Disabled*
Cache Timing Control:	Normal/Fast/Turbo*
DRAM Timing Control:	Normal/Fast*
Fast DRAM:			Enabled*/Disabled
Burst Write:			Enabled/Disabled*
CPU Write Back Cache:	Enabled*/Disabled
P24T Cache Replace BLAST:	Enabled/Disabled*

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Anil