Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:54:45 +0200
From:      Marian Hettwer <mh@kernel32.de>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Passive PROFITS <passiveprofits@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Update - & thanks! :)

Hi DES,

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:42:51 +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no>
wrote:
> Marian Hettwer <mh@kernel32.de> writes:
>> Actually you'll find a lot of applications in FreeBSD ports where you
>> wouldn't find them as a debian package for instance :) Especially in
>> regards to the version of this specific software.  Example?  Debian
>> Sarge --> No Apache 2.2
>
> 1) the latest Debian release is Etch, not Sarge

I know that the latest release is Etch. I never said that Sarge is the
latest release.
However, Sarge was around for a long period of time and my statement was:
No apache 2.2 there.

> 2) this is a matter of policy, not incompetence; packages associated
>    with a particular release receive only bug fixes, not feature
>    upgrades.

I know. I disagree with that policy, though.

> 3) As a consequence, Debian has a (well-earned) reputation as the most
>    stable Linux-based server platform.

This is FUD.
Take a look into a MySQL changelog, for instance, and tell me how MySQL
under debian can be more stable than MySQL in any other linux distribution.
It's plain impossible. The debian folks are patching their MySQL release
(the one associated with the debian release), but in the end, they can't do
anything about MySQL bugs. (apart of what any distribution can do: update
to the latest release)

> To summarize, you may want to check your facts more carefully the next
> time you feel like bashing the competition.

I believe I know my facts quite well, since I'm adminstrating approx 600
debian boxes for more than 3 years now, while I migrated those boxes from
woody to sarge.
And yes, I know, it's time to move on to Etch (or maybe to Ubuntu LTS).

My fact was: No Apache 2.2 in Sarge. That's it. Nothing wrong there.
And if I disagree with their policy of having fixed versions of their
software, it's up to me to say that. That's still no bashing.

In fact, you may stop interpreting mails wrong, before bashing around.
Right?!

./Marian