Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:06:04 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dan Strick <dan@math.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Driver Changes Proposed: Tape Early Warning Behaviour

On Tuesday, 15 December 1998 at 19:31:33 -0800, Dan Strick wrote:
>> I can't see any particular reason to restrict the minor number format
>> if it's not necessary.  So we have 4 densities, n (<=4?) speeds and
>> compression.  That makes 5 bits.  Then we have non-rewind, a maximum
>> of 16 units per drive and (on a PC) probably not more than 16
>> controllers.  A total of 14 bits of minor number out of the 24
>> available: in other words, there should be no problem finding a minor
>> number format which fits.
>
> One good reason for restricting the minor number format is that 16384
> (i.e. 2^14) different entries for tape devices in /dev would be painful
> beyound belief.

You wouldn't automatically create all device nodes, just those that
corresponded to real devices and their functions.

> I claim that the idea of specifying tape drive operating parameters
> via minor device number was a really bad idea from almost the very
> beginning (unix v6 I believe) and should have been abandoned after
> the ioctl() system call became available.

How would you tell tar to make a backup, this time only, which didn't
compress?  If you did it with mt(1), how would you ensure that nobody
dicked with the settings between your running mt(1) and tar(1)?

Greg