Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:00:02 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: converting drivers to dynamic memory...

> yep, I think that would be a great addition...  IMO, once devfs has
> finally been completed, we will still need a minor number of the void *
> (I happen to like the name dev_info_t), the minor so that we know what
> part of the device driver we are accessing...  else we would need to
> allocate a bunch of small structs like:
> struct {
> 	int option;
> 	struct devicedata data;
> }
>
> which would be really wasteful of precious memory resources...

No.  I take your point about wanting to have multiple DEVFS entries
referencing a single softc structure though; you might want to have
something like:

struct devfs_softc_reference
{
	void	*softc;
	int	token;
}

inside the devfs_node structure.

Forget the btree model; it's not going to fly in the face of a direct
reference approach.

mike