Date:      10 Mar 2002 23:11:07 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fraud (was: Rejecting spam, accepting valid mail (was: Mail blocked))
References:  <4.3.2.7.2.20020307094130.01f59240@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020306234510.01ee0180@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020306234510.01ee0180@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020307094130.01f59240@nospam.lariat.org> <3cg03ccef4.03c@localhost.localdomain> <4.3.2.7.2.20020307221616.00cb9980@nospam.lariat.org> <20020308190102.B679@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com> <d1lmd1dwzm.md1@localhost.localdomain> <20020311123713.H36158@wantadilla.lemis.com>

Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On Saturday,  9 March 2002 at 17:37:01 -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> >
> >> I use a number of techniques to reject spam.  It's fairly clear that
> >> an invalid server name can be construed in a number of ways:
> >>
> >> 1.  An attempt to defraud:
> >>
> >>     In:  EHLO localhost.localdomain
> >>     Out: 250-wantadilla.lemis.com
> >>     Out: 250-PIPELINING
> >>     Out: 250-SIZE 10240000
> >>     Out: 250-ETRN
> >>     Out: 250 8BITMIME
> >>     In:  MAIL From:<grados_julio@hotmail.com> SIZE=1790
> >>     Out: 250 Ok
> >>     In:  RCPT To:<yvonne@lemis.com>
> >>     Out: 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [211.23.186.108]
> >>
> >>     This one is clearly spam.
> >
> > If "clearly" means "very likely", then yes.  Few would blame you for
> > not worrying about the other, more unlikely cases.
> >
> > I assume that the above is not a personal accusation, but allow me
> > to warn about the easily misused word "defraud", given that libel
> > juries can more accurately judge the inference than the implication.
> >
> >   defraud, tr.v., To take from or deprive of by fraud; to swindle.
>
> Well, that's one of many definitions, and it's incomplete, since it
> doesn't define what fraud is.  The Oxford English Dictionary lists a
> total of 5 meanings of the word "defraud", one of which is:
>
>   1. c. absol. To act with or employ fraud.

Your dic. is bigger than my dic. (mine's only 1500 pages :-) and so
I'll have to admit to being wrong about "defraud" not having a
recognized meaning without the aspect of theft or injury, etc.

more-or-less irrelevant to my dic.'s definition; the point is that it
involved a "taking" or "deprivation", not just a "fraud", which ever
sense anyone wishes to assume for "fraud", and not a simple identity
confusion.  I believed that many people, including you, thought
otherwise and I was trying (wrongly, I must now admit) to disabuse you
of the notion so that you don't accuse people of using the legal form of
fraud and having it being interpreted as the illegal form of fraud, thus
damaging their reputation and making you subject to libel laws (even in
AU, no doubt).  Now knowing the ambiguity of the term, not just in many
people's minds, but in the OED, my point is even stronger.  Of course,
you free to ignore it; few are sued for their libel.

Furthermore, after the intervening discussion, I'll even have to agree
that some lawyers could find that any form if identity confusion or
mail-filter penetration (even not for the purposes of spam or theft or
damage) actually is damaging or costly and so the accusation would not
be libelous in any case.  You're free to call me a crook for allowing
someone's mail software to form my Message ID.

And I've been obstinate about changing my local host's name to match my
ISP account name for years I don't see it changing any time soon and I
won't be in any hurry trying to figure out how to kludge up my Message
ID to not not [a poor attempt at making a point there] penetrate
someone's unique idea of a mail filter rule.

Anyway, I'm always glad to learn about words.  Thanks for the info.

I almost forget: Do you know what "c." or "absol." means in your OED
quote above?  (My dic. was inadequate again.)